New Releases List

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Writer's Brain: K.C. May

K.C. May is an inspiring story for any indie writer. After working hard at her craft, and experimenting with ways to get her books noticed by readers, she has gone from modest success to top-tier status in a short period of time. The covers for her Kinshield Saga are possibly the best indie fantasy covers I've ever seen and look better than most mainstream fantasy covers, which is a genre that produces a lot of gorgeous art work. The Kinshield Legacy and The Wayfarer King are both at or near the top 10 for all epic fantasy novels. Take away George RR Martin and those books are the #3 and #4 epic fantasy novels in the Kindle store.

Think about what that means. At the time of this post she is currently selling more ebooks on Amazon than Robert Jordan or J.R.R. Tolkein!


Michael: How long have you been writing? Is writing a calling for you, or did you fall into it by accident?

K.C. May: I started writing for fun in high school, but I knew when I was 11 or 12 that I wanted to write a book some day. I didn’t start writing seriously until about 20 years ago. It’s definitely a calling. When a story forms in my head, I must write it down or it won’t leave me alone.

Michael: What is the work you are most proud of having written? Is there a particular scene, chapter or POV that you found especially challenging?

K.C. May: I think I’m most proud of The Venom of Vipers because of all the science I had to learn and get right to make the story work. The climax scene was probably the most difficult because there were a lot of things going on in a confined space (plus getting everything to line up right to put everyone in the room at the same time.)

Michael: What do you hope they will take away from reading your books?
 
K.C. May: A fun escape. That’s what I love most about reading fiction, and if I can give that to others, I’ll be happy!

Michael: What would you like to accomplish as a writer? Do you have any specific goals?

K.C. May: I’m happy knowing that readers enjoy what I write, but the next Big Dream is to see one of my stories made into a movie! If I could earn a living writing fiction, I’d be thrilled.

Michael: What is your writing process? Do you write by outlines or fly by the seat of your pants?

K.C. May: Mostly I have an outline, but it’s not terribly detailed. It consists of plot points. How I get from plot point A to B is more seat-of-my-pants writing.

Michael: When you start a new book, do you like to talk about it with friends and family or keep it to yourself?

K.C. May: I keep it to myself. In the early stages, it doesn’t usually make a lot of sense, and there are too many details to work out before I can comfortably talk about it. Once I have a full draft, I’ll start to share it with trusted friends for feedback.


Twitter: @GASciFiAuthor

No comments:

Post a Comment