New Releases List

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Adventures in Audio

Or maybe that should be adventures in podio, since I'll be releasing my audio books on podiobooks.com. The audio release of The Devil's Deep is currently scheduled for August 10, with the first half dozen or so episodes going live and at least one more episode coming online each week until they're all available. Right now, I'm getting a few episodes done per week, so it might only be a couple of weeks until it's all up.

Why am I doing this? The podcasts will be free, so unless people are generous with the tip jar on podiobooks (unlikely), it is unlikely to earn me any money. Of course, it's unlikely to cost me any money, either. I figure every listener is someone who wouldn't have otherwise come into contact with my work. I've also just released the sequel to the book, The Devil's Peak, so maybe a few more people will wander over and pick it up. This is the same reason that I've lowered the ebook price of The Devil's Deep itself to 99 cents.

My goals as a writer remain writing + audience + income. I have no great ambition to be rich and famous (in fact, I think I'll be happier if I'm not), but I'm finally at the point where I have a growing audience and the encouragement to keep writing, and even the earning a living part is within reach. The audiobooks are largely about targeting the audience goal.

Next post I will give some of the details on how I've been producing a podiobook and the learning curve I've been climbing. I won't pretend it hasn't been a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment